Insurance claim repairs were required at this property following a fire which had started in the front left-hand bedroom. The cause of the fire was a faulty iron which had caused extensive fire and smoke damage to the entire property.
We made initial contact with the homeowner to explain the process moving forward and set out the plan for communication to ensure the best possible customer journey.
After initial contact, our TSS surveyor attended site and conducted an inspection of the property. We confirmed the damage and provided a clear and concise report and estimate, specific to the loss suffered by homeowner.
Our surveyor found that:
- All ceilings in every bedroom would need taking down and completely replacing,
- Plasterboard walls would need to be removed and replaced along with the floor coverings and all woodwork.
- Complete re- decoration would be needed in every room.
- All sanitary ware in both the bathroom and en-suite were to be removed, disposed of and replaced due to the extent of the smoke damage.
- A full re-wire was required to the upstairs where the fuse board had melted as a result of the fire and a temporary supply had to be installed in order to enable the works to be undertaken.
- The UPVC windows and sills in the affected rooms needed to be replaced along with the smashed and warped UPVC doors.
Managing the repair works
Once the scope and estimate had been approved, a pre-start meeting was scheduled with the homeowner, the TSS surveyor and the TSS nominated local supplier who would be undertaking the repair works. A plan was agreed for the works, the process clearly explained to the homeowner and the homeowner confirmed any material choices or special requirements.
The programme of works was produced along with full Construction Design and Management (CDM) risk assessments and method statements. The timescales were shared with the homeowner at the outset and we kept him updated on progress against the programme at regular intervals throughout the repair works.
The quality of the work produced by our supplier was monitored on a weekly basis to ensure the necessary high standards were achieved when reinstating the property back to “pre-loss” condition.